Thursday, November 10, 2011

Weakness and Surprises

Posted by Heidi at Thursday, November 10, 2011
Good news! Today, I got a seasonal job at Bath and Body Works! This is exciting and much needed, because I am a poor college student who was wondering how I was going to pay rent next month.


It's funny how things work out sometimes. I only just started looking for a job two days ago. I was at the mall getting applications when I wandered into Bath and Body Works and asked for one. They were all out of applications, but said I could print one off from their website and bring it in. I thanked them and then began to browse around the store, trying out their new holiday scents (btw, Apple Wreath is delicious! You should buy it!). Suddenly the manager came up to me, asked me a few questions, and before I knew it, she was offering me an interview for this afternoon.


The interview happened, and when it ended, to be honest I didn't think it had gone all that well. I felt like I had done my best, but that I didn't compare to the two other girls who were also interviewing (it was a group interview). I walked out of there literally thinking that I was not going to get the job and that I needed to go ahead and fill out the other applications I had picked up the other day.

On the way home I started thinking about some things about me that I thought would count against me, like how shy I can be sometimes. This trait has made things difficult for me in the past, in many different situations. My thought process went something like this, "Maybe my shyness is a blessing and a curse. Wait, I can't see how it is a blessing at all. It must just be a curse, because it only causes me problems. WAIT! Heidi, you can't think like that. It may feel like a curse sometimes, and it may be difficult, but it is a blessing too. It's a blessing because it is a weakness."

I told myself that I needed to remember the very thing that I had said in the devotional I gave in my Institute class just last week. I talked about the scripture 2 Corinthians 12:9-10 that says:
"And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.
Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake, for when I am weak, then am I strong."
There is a similar scripture in The Book of Mormon (Ether 12:27) that says,
"And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them."
Basically, I reminded myself that my shyness is a weakness, but that made it a blessing too, because weaknesses can make us humble, and humility can bring us closer to God, and the closer we are to God the stronger we are and the more able we are to receive help and guidance from Him. If we are humble, the grace of God can help us to turn our weaknesses into strengths, or at least help us to learn to live with them or love them.

I realized that even if I didn't get this job, and even if it was because I was "too shy", it would be okay, because it was a learning experience where I was being taught to trust in God more than I had been, and everything would be okay.

I ended up walking the rest of the way home with a big smile on my face. I still didn't think I would get the job, but I felt great.

Then, as it turned out, a few hours later, I got a call from the hiring manager who told me they had decided to hire me. Yay! I start tomorrow with a five hour long orientation session (Looonnnnggg!, but oh well, I have a job!). Like I said, it's funny how things work out sometimes. Now lets just hope I things go well from here on out. Wish me luck!
 
I've been listening to this beautiful song a lot lately. I actually read the lyrics for this song in that same devotional I gave last week. It has a very happy and encouraging message.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Pink Notes, Blue Notes Copyright © 2010 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template Graphic from Enakei