Sunday, November 6, 2011

French Braids

Posted by Heidi at Sunday, November 06, 2011
French braiding. Something I've always wanted to be able to do, but in the past, never managed to successfully do on my hair. I also just never really had a chance to practice on someone else. I've never been very good at doing hair, especially my own, which is probably why I usually stick to only a few hairdo's:
The basic pony tail (high, low, to the side)

Curly hair worn down (my hair is naturally curly)

Straight hair worn down (I love how my hair looks when I flat-iron it)

And sometimes the half hair up pony tail look.

Lately I've been so bored with my hair and I've been looking for different things I can do with it, without doing anything too extreme, of course (I've never had much desire to dye it or anything). Earlier this year I got it cut shorter (I usually wear it long), and I even gave in and finally got side-swept bangs. This was a big step for me, because I was so worried that they wouldn't look good on me, and that having hair sitting on my face like that would drive me nuts. Well, often, it does drive me nuts. But they turned out looking pretty good and I got so many compliments on them when I got them, that I decided I liked them.

Since then however, I've gotten bored with my hair again. So I have been playing around with it, trying to figure out different ways I can fix it. I did try a look where I let my hair dry curly, and then I just pinned my curls up (sorta low) on the back of my head (I was going for a semi Little Women look). It actually turned out quite pretty, if I do say so myself. But, I've still been wanting to be able to do more things with my hair.

This brings me back to the french braid thing. As I said, I've never managed a successful french braid before. However...*drum roll please!*...Tonight I did it! I successfully french braided my own hair! Without even using a mirror! I was so excited :) My roommate laughed at me, cause she thought I was funny. But seriously, for me, this was awesome.

To be honest, I don't like this picture. But it was the best one I could manage to take of myself. And it shows the braid just fine.
So there you have it. My simple pleasure of today. I realize that I just wrote an entire blog post about my hair and what I do with it, but you have to understand that my hair and I have not always gotten along. My hair is just like me; it likes to do it's own thing and doesn't like being controlled or told what to do. Sometimes it rebels when I try to make it do what I want it to do. So when I try something new with my hair, and I manage to actually get it to look good, it's an exciting accomplishment that adds something happy to my day.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Pink Notes, Blue Notes Copyright © 2010 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template Graphic from Enakei